Wednesday, June 1, 2011

10 years ago mom beat breast cancer!

I remember distinctly the feeling I had when mom told me she had discovered a lump. By the time she told me, she had already had a mammogram and the biopsy was scheduled. I didn't know much about breast cancer.  I wasn't quite 22 and I had just had my first child. I was scared for my mom's life. How could this be? Was she going to die? Would she even know my daughter?

Without sharing all of the details and all my emotions let's just say she decided to fight it! She had double mastectomies, reconstructive surgery and chemo.

One day during her journey with cancer I called her and was surprised to hear the tone of her voice.  The chemo was making her ill, but she had been able to maintain her positive attitude.  Her hair fell out, but she was able to keep it together. She had an infection with one of her implants and some complications and her psyche was still intact. But on the morning I called she had hit the bottom of her will to fight.  We talked and I tried to encourage her. When we hung up I began to pray. I was praying for my mom's will to fight, I was praying selfishly for my mom to survive and I was praying for God's guidance on how to keep her going.

God directed me to remind her to go to the scriptures.  Well I knew she knew to read the scriptures but she needed something more in her face. So I took paper, cut it into squares and began writing scriptures on them.  I then went to her house and plastered these little strips of paper everywhere. Bathroom mirrors, above light switches, behind the kitchen sink and etc.  I then got in my mom's face and gave her a hard core pep talk.  I told her she was going to fight.  In Ephesians 6, you can read about the Armor of God. I reminded my mom of this armor and I reminded her that when she was feeling her weakest it was the scriptures that would be her truth and her strength. That was 10 years ago this month!

Praise thee Lord!  I am so thankful that God decided to spare my mom.  I don't know why some stay on earth and some go to heaven when they are diagnosed with breast cancer.  I suppose that's a mystery I will never know, but I'm so blessed that I was able to keep my mom through her battle. I believe one day in America we will have a cure for cancer, even possibly a preventative medicine to keep cancer cells from forming.  This kind of research only happens when we give. I encourage you to support your local Relay for Life or any other charitable organization that funds cancer research, especially those that affect women.

This is Relay for Life month.  I have decided that 25% of all Mary Kay sales will go to the Orange County Relay for life for the next 7 days.  If you want to support the cause you may do so at www.marykay.com/jhodges4.

No comments:

Post a Comment